Support for Office 2010 will end on October 13, 2020 and there will be no extension and no extended security updates. All of your Office 2010 apps will continue to function. However, you could expose yourself to serious and potentially harmful security risks.
No doubt you’ve read or heard about how hackers taking advantage of situations to exploit vulnerabilities with malicious intent. All too frequent these exploits are performed carrying out previously known vulnerabilities which have already been fixed and could have been avoided simply by keeping software or the Operating System up to date.
With regards to Microsoft Office 2010 nearing end of support in practise what this means for you after October 13, 2020:
- Microsoft will no longer provide technical support, bug fixes, or security fixes for Office 2010 vulnerabilities which may be subsequently reported or discovered. This includes security updates which can help protect your PC from harmful viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.
- You’ll no longer receive Office 2010 software updates from Microsoft Update.
- You’ll no longer receive phone or chat technical support.
- No further updates to support content will be provided and most online help content will be retired.
- You’ll no longer be able to download Office 2010 from the Microsoft web site.
If you haven’t already now should be the time companies start creating a plan of action, ahead of October, to be prepared and stay secure. Companies may want to consider the path to Microsoft Office 365 which could be the ideal solution to keep users working in an application they are already familiar with, saving in file formats they already know.
If you would like to learn more about Microsoft Office 365, what new features could benefit your business and help determining the most cost effective way to implement this across your company then feel welcome to reach out and contact BlueRockIT. You can call the team on 0333 050 9339